Just like carbon monoxide, you cannot see, smell or taste a radioactive gas called radon.
Radon is naturally occurring and can be found in many residential and commercial properties; it is also the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States, after only smoking. Radon negatively affects indoor air quality and the only way to be sure it is present is by testing for it.
Radon is a natural radioactive breakdown of uranium in soil, rock, and water. From there, it seeps into structures and becomes part of the air you breathe.
As a highly gaseous radioactive element, it is nine times denser than air, which makes it the heaviest known gas. Radon can easily penetrate common materials such as paper, leather, plastics of low density, sheetrock and concrete block, mortar, tarpaper, wood paneling, most paints and most insulations.
The US EPA, Surgeon General and various health associations recommend you test your home for radon. The test is not obtrusive at all, and takes a minimum of 48 hours to get a reading. You want there to be no detection of radon, but if there is, you want the level to be below 4 pCi/l. You will want to have a system installed to remove the radon if the level is at or above 4 pCi/l.
Young children tend to be the most susceptible to radon damage as they have a higher respiration rate. To protect you and your family, one of the best ways to determine if a house has radon is with a home inspection. Any time you purchase a home, it is recommended by the realtor and the lender to have a radon test performed.
If you feel concerned about the chances of having radon in your home, contact First Choice Inspections today. We can help ease your worry as well as guide you in the process of removing radon from your home.