Categories
Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide Still Possible During Summer

Carbon Monoxide When owning a home, there are many cautions that should be taken to keep you and your family safe. Carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless toxic flammable gas, is often emitted as part of the fumes of fuel. Difficult to detect, this poisonous gas can be leaked from cars, stoves, fireplaces, grills, furnaces and more. Many people believe that carbon monoxide build up is primarily a concern in the winter months when doors and windows are closed, but deadly levels can build up in the summertime, too.

According to the Daily Herald of Utah, two patients at the Utah Valley Regional Medical Center were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in 2012 after using a gas-powered concrete saw in their basement without proper ventilation. When using gas-powered equipment in an enclosed space, symptoms like headaches, dizziness, nausea and light-headedness can appear quickly which helped these individuals recognize that there was a problem.

Although carbon monoxide poisoning notoriously occurs indoors, many don’t realize it can happen outside as well. During the summer months, you may notice poisoning symptoms if you breathe in the toxins from the back of a boat, sit too close to a campfire or use gas or propane stoves in or near a tent. Even though it seems like carbon monoxide poisoning should take longer when you are outside, it can happen within as little as 15 minutes, experts say.

If you think you’ve been exposed to carbon monoxide, you should go to the ER immediately. A doctor can treat the poisoning by flushing out the toxins in a hyperbaric chamber, but ultimately prevention is the best course of treatment.

Since poisoning is unpredictable, you should purchase a carbon monoxide detector for your home. As well, it could be prudent to have a professional inspect your home to make sure you and your family are safe.